With the first weekend of WinterWest 2013 all wrapped up, we thought we’d give you a run-down on what has happened and what’s yet to come:
- Our motto with rink building tends to be, “What could possibly go wrong?” Unfortunately, things usually go wrong. While the weather cooperated for the most part, with a warm build weekend and a cold week to follow, we ran into some uneven ground that caused a few hiccups in preparing the ice. In the end, we were able to make both rinks work for us. (Keep your fingers crossed that all the water doesn’t run out of a torn liner with this warm-up, though!)
- The City helped out in a big way this year, removing the old wading pool and installing a new fence so we could install our large rink next to the warming shelter. They also provided several newly painted benches and a spot-light for both rinks.
- As many of you know, we had to cancel the Crazy Cardboard Sled Competition at the last minute due to some unforeseen insurance requirements. While this was disappointing for us and all who hoped to participate, we now know what we need to do to make sure we don’t run into the same problems in the future. Trust us, this competition will return next year, bigger and better than before!
- The Warming Shelter was open Saturday and Sunday for skaters, sledders and anyone else enjoying the park. We served up over 450 cups of hot chocolate and coffee (thanks to our Warming Shelter Sponsors Meijer and Family Fare).
- With the rain and warm weather, we decided to close the ice rinks Monday morning with the hope of repairing them by next weekend. Stay tuned to our website or Facebook fan page for more information on the status of the rinks.
What’s coming up:
- Saturday, February 2: the Richmond Park Winter Rush 5k – an adventure style race that will take you throughout the park, including down the sledding hill to cap off your run. Be sure to register online by clicking here.
- Sunday, February 3: the Winter Rush Fat Bike Series finale, presented by Central District Cyclery. Register online by clicking here.
- Saturday, February 9: the WinterWest 3-on-3 Hockey Tournament – only $25 per team, guaranteed 2 games. Click here for more information.
- Sunday, February 10: the Winter Tree ID Walk, with Lee Mueller of the Friends of Grand Rapids Parks.
In the news:
- RapidGrowth G-Sync – “WinterWest: Bikinis optional (and encouraged)”
- Weekend Fun from Maranda (WOOD TV8)
- “3rd WinterWest festival launches this weekend…” (Mlive, Todd Chance)
- “Canceled race doesn’t stop sledding” (WZZM 13)
- Barnaby’s Alternative Five (WZZM 13)
- “What’s happening this weekend?” (WZZM 13)
- “WinterWest heads to Grand Rapids” (Fox 17)
- WJRW Sound Off! West Michigan Interview with Dave Jaconette