Weekend #2 of WinterWest 2013 is in the books! Here’s a recap of this past weekend’s happenings and what you have to look forward to in the final week/weekend of WinterWest.
- The WinterRush folks held the 2nd Annual Richmond Park WinterRush 5k Adventure Race on Saturday. The course was adjusted this year to make it a full 5k, giving competitors the opportunity to slide down the hill TWICE! The 10 inches of fresh powder made the race a bit more challenging and a lot more fun! The number of participants was down, despite the notable event sponsorships from Striders and Central District Cyclery, due to the competing Ground Hog’s Marathon race. We look forward to coordinating with WinterRush on this race again next year, and hopefully finding a date that can attract the masses! Race results are available here. Congratulations to division winners Jessica Rocheleau (Female 14-39), Marleah Bevelacqua (Female 40+), Andrew Knauf (Male 14-39), Burton Eilers (Male 40+), and Team LARS (Friends and Family division)!
- WinterRush also coordinated the final race of their FatBikeGRR racing series on Sunday afternoon. Turnout was great (30+ competitors) and racers handled the difficult course like champs, carrying their bikes up “Mt. Everest”, slipping and sliding down the edge of the sledding hill, and plowing their bikes through the deep snow. Race and series results will be available on WinterRush’s web page soon.
- Last week’s warm-up put both rinks out of commission temporarily, but we were able to repair the main rink for weekend ice skating. The rink closest to the Warming Shelter will be open for ice skating until further notice (forecast is questionable for later this week).
What’s coming up:
- Weather permitting, free ice skating will be open all week on the rink closest to the Warming Shelter. Check in on our Facebook Fan Page for ice updates.
- Also weather permitting, Saturday, February 9: the WinterWest 3-on-3 Hockey Tournament – only $25 per team. You can register online or learn more about the event here.
- Sunday, February 10: the Winter Tree ID Walk, with Lee Mueller of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks. No matter what the weather!
In the news: